Auckland boy seriously injured after gun 'accidentally exploded' - Stuff

A 12-year-old boy has been airlifted to hospital after suffering a "traumatic" injury when a gun "accidentally exploded".

Police said officers responded to a report of a person being injured in south Auckland's Ararimu about 8.30pm on Wednesday.

"Enquiries have established that the young male was on the property handling a firearm used for hunting when it appears to have accidentally exploded while he was handling it," detective senior sergeant Veronica McPherson said.

"As a result the victim has sustained moderate injuries to his neck and face caused by shrapnel from the firearm."

An Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter was sent to the scene to assist the boy.

He was flown to Starship Children's Hospital in a critical condition but was now in a moderate condition, police said.

"The occupants at the address were licensed firearm holders," McPherson said.

"Police are not seeking anyone in relation to this incident, which appears to be an unfortunate accident as a result of a faulty firearm."

On Thursday, three police officers remained stationed at a taped-off farm house, next door to the Chosen Valley Christian Camp.

Officers wearing gloves could be seen at the rural property and a white forensics tent has been pitched outside.