Burst citronella candle sets mans clothes on fire, serious injuries - Stuff

A burst citronella candle left a man seriously injured in Thames, after it set his clothes alight.

The patient, in his 50s, was flown to Waikato Hospital by the Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter on Friday.

The man had been refilling a candle with a citronella candle when the mixture of citronella and ethanol "burst" and set his clothes on fire, the rescue helicopter statement said.

"His clothing was removed and wet towelling was placed on him."

He was takent to Waikato Hospital in a serious condition.

Citronella candles are commonly used as a plant-based mosquito repellant, though they - along with all candles -  are a known fire hazard.